The URSA II, with a full-featured MCA program, can be used with practically any radiation detector and can extract any data your detector can supply! It has been designed taking into account comments and requests from our current URSA customers. URSA-II MCA, the all-new fully, quantitative Windows™ based URSA-II software package has been designed for ease of use in a 32-bit Windows™ environment. Software also includes URSA-II for PPC software to run the URSA-II using a Windows Mobile™ Device (Jornada, iPAQ, TDS Recon, etc.) running WindowsCE™ or Windows Mobile™. The Software can be installed on as many computers as you like, with no restrictions and includes free software updates. URSA II Quick Specs PDF
Specific applications include:| Bulk sample analysis | air sample analysis | wipe sample analysis |
| thyroid assay | compliance monitoring | environmental monitoring |
| nuclear medicine | identification of unknown nuclides |
| remote monitoring | health physics | homeland defense |
| portal monitoring | education |
Software Includes• Fully editable standard libraries include all 497 isotopes listed in "Kocher's Radioactive Decay Tables."
• Multi-channel scaling mode, peak search and identify, quantification based on ROIs or peaks search.
• Dual-channel emulator allows use with gas proportional or phoswich detectors as a "gross alpha/beta" counter-scaler.
• Sophisticated multiple alarm functions are based on the overall count rate, individual ROIs, exceeding a specific rate or an increase in rate over a specific time interval. Alarms can trigger external devices.
• Provisions are included for acquiring and saving spectra repeatedly and continuously while unattended. Spectra can be saved and reloaded to "live" for re-analysis or additional data accumulation, or loaded as a background spectrum. Saved spectra can be superimposed on the "active" spectrum for comparison. Spectrum format is easily accessible by a spreadsheet program. All reports can be previewed, printed, or saved as text or rich text files.
• "ASCII" mode allows control of and data collection from the URSA-II with user's own software or hardware.
Additional Specifications4096-channels, can also be configured for 256, 512, 1024, or 2048 channels. Internal bias voltage supply provides positive high voltage from 0 to 2000V at up to 0.5mA (Negative High Voltage available upon request). Adjustable shaping time, 0.25 to 10 µs. A wide gain range can be achieved by utilizing coarse and fine gain controls from x1 to x250.
Minimum System Requirements486 computer running Windows 95® or higher or Windows Mobile® Device with Serial Connector.
Probe ConnectorsTwo detector inputs. One standard series "C" connector for detectors where the signal is joined with the high voltage supply. The other is for detectors having separate connections for high voltage (SHV connector) and signal (BNC connector). Active detector input is selected via software, and can be negative, positive, or pre-shaped (positive) signal.
External ConnectorExternal connector provides +5V, +12V, and -12V for external preamplifiers and two logic signals for notifying external devices of alarm conditions.
SwitchesPower On/Off, and Fast/Normal charging rates. (Internal switch located in the battery compartment suppresses battery-charging circuitry for when non-rechargeable batteries are being used.)
LED IndicatorsOn/Off, External power availability, and fast charge activation
Power RequirementsExternal 12VDC power supply, six "AA" NiMH rechargeable batteries (included) with internal recharging, or six standard alkaline "AA" batteries. External 12VDC power jack allows instrument to plug into vehicle. "Fast Charge" of NiMH batteries can also be selected. The URSA-II is fully portable with hours of battery life and PPC Compatibility.
Temperature Range0° to 50°C (32° - 122°F)
Weight391 grams (13.8 oz.) without batteries.
Size157 x 90 x 44 mm (6.186 x 3.558 x 1.718 in.)
Carrying Case, USB-Serial Adapter, NIM Connector, MCA Software w/ Free Updates, and AC Wall Plug.
Scintillation Probes and Nomad/Recon (see accessories)
Frequently Asked Questions about The URSA II Universal Radiation Spectrum Analyzer
I'm having trouble connecting to the URSA-II using a USB-Serial cable.
Make sure that the COM port assigned to the port is above COM 6 through the device manager. Sometimes there are other devices assigned to the lower number COM ports that might create a conflict.
Can I run the URSA-II MCA Software on a 64-bit Operating System?
Yes, but the installer is not designed for a 64-bit system. However, if you download the zip file by clicking here, you can extract it to the C:\Program Files\URSA-II (including all files and subfolders) on your computer. Click the "Ursa_II.exe" file in this directory to launch the software.
Quick Start Video Guide (not available)